Sunday, April 03, 2005

A waste of time.

The french test I did was a waste of time. I was thinking that if there were less than 100 ppl , than I'd go on. Well, about 210 ppl wrote the test. If you're successful than you have to do a oral exam with public commission service. So if by chance I guessed luckily at the answers and do go on, I'm screwed with the oral exam.
The writing part was ok, it was multiple choice. The reading part kind of got me. It was multiple choice as well, but some of the answers were very long and I didn't know a lot of the words. So the last 15 questions or so, I read through the question so quickly and just made a guess.
I talked to the port chief at Lansdowne and he said that they are hiring for 9 bilingual positions right now. After they're hired than they'll start a unilingual english competition.
They told us about the pay which is great. But they're changing over to a new system and if you get hired before the new system is implemented you'll be sent to Rigaud PQ for 13 weeks. It's a customs inspector college. They'll pay you your salary and pay for travel. But if you get hired after the new system is in, they'll only pay you an allowance while you're out there and travel to get there to the camp and back.
So, I think I better take some french classes. The administrators of the test said that if you ever wanted to get transfered to Ottawa to work at HQ , you definilty need to speak and read french.
And to top it off, the weather was CRAPPY. It was raining so hard all day. I was getting a bit nervous driving in Brockville because I'm not familiar with the city and I couldn't see too much because of the darn rain.